The Streets of Farragut

Through the transactions of the railroad, John N. Dennison, Boston, MA purchased 160 acres of land from U. D. Coy in the spring of 1870.  The C. B. & O. Railroad (named Burlington and Missouri at that time) commenced to build down the Nishna River, running from Red Oak to Hamburg.  On August 1, 1870, the first train ran into Farragut.  The station was established; a box car being used for the depot.   

The railroad also promoted sales of town plots to land speculators to encourage the building of a town that would need a shipping and transportation point.  By September 21, 1870 (seven weeks after the first train went through), Dennison had completed the plat of the streets and alleys of a new Iowa town.

It was then known as Lowland, afterwards changed to Lawrence, then later it was suggested it be named Coyville, but Major Coy was such an admirer of Admiral Farragut, and that was the name he chose.

Other stories and records tell us that other early townsmen also endorse Major Coy’s idea to name this new town for a naval hero of the recent Civil War.  The area had locally been called the Lowlands before the coming of the railroad; the name was changed to Lawrence, but within two years (1872) the name, Farragut was officially given to this railroad point.       

Dennison’s plat of the town generally named north-south routes as Avenues and east-west routes as Streets.  Names assigned to the town’s routes indicate a strong sense of patriotism and a great respect for Admiral Farragut.  

Hartford Ave - main  street - The Hartford was the name of Admiral Farragut’s flagship, that led a fleet of nineteen vessels through the critical battle of Mobile Bay, August 4, 1864.  Admiral Farragut only had four ironclad vessels to protect his wooden ships as they attacked Fort Morgan, the Confederate fort. bWebster Street – northern most east-west route – possibly named after Daniel Webster, an American statesman and orator. He was a prominent 19th-century politician and senator, whose name is frequently honored across the state, including in Webster County and Webster City.

Lincoln St – south side of Congregational Church (would run through the school property and continue westward to New Orleans Ave / Grant St) – likely named after Abraham Lincoln

Clay St – north side of school (one block south of Webster St) – possibly named after Henry Clay, the prominent 19th-century U.S. statesman, orator, and proponent of the American System

Wilkes St – from the south, it is the second east-west street off New Orleans Ave / Grant St and bends around the old fire station and west elevator and intersects with Hartford Ave (becomes Foote St east of Hartford Ave) – possibly named after Civil War Rear Admiral Charles Wilkes 

Foote St – street between the east elevator and Vo Ag/bus barn (transitions into Tecumseh Ave as it turns north.  Where it crosses Hartford Ave it becomes Wilkes St and bends around the old fire station and west elevator) – likely named in honor of Andrew Hull Foote,  an American naval officer who was noted for his service in the American Civil War and specifically for his actions in support of operations on the Mississippi River.  He was promoted to the rank of Rear Admiral.

Davis St – two blocks in length one block north of Porter St (between Tecumseh Ave and Jackson Ave) – research indicates it is named after Admiral David Glasgow Farragut

Rodman St – first east-west street north of the railroad tracks – possibly named after naval officer Hugh Rodman who served on the Hartford after the Civil War

Cushing St – the U-shaped street south of Worden St (west of Hackett Field) – possibly named in honor of the prominent Cushing brothers of the Civil War era.  William Barker Cushing was a famous naval officer known for daring raids most notably sinking the Confederate ironclad CSS Albemarle. Howard Bass Cushing was a U.S. Army officer who fought in the Civil War and later campaigns in Arizona.

Cox St - diagonal street on the north side of and running parallel to the railroad tracks
(intersects with Jackson Ave and accesses the Cliff Richards farm) – this street possibly did not exist in 1870 and the origins of its naming are unknown (possibly named after Rear Admiral Vance Cox ?)

Farragut Admiral Trail – name given to the former railroad right of way and now hiking trail 

 

 


Founding of Farragut

A hundred years ago this present community of Farragut was a lush river valley situated in the southwest corner of one of the new Midwest states, Iowa.  In 1846, when Iowa gained statehood, there were few  permanent settlements in Fisher township.  Our community was a vast expanse of waving prairie grass and wild flowers, crossed leisurely by several creeks, which finally joined the Nishnabotna River, coursing southwesterly to join the Missouri River.  On the river and creek banks were small fringes of timber.  It was fertile open country, inviting a number of Indian tribes to hunting, fishing, and farming in earlier years.  Historians estimate that southwest Iowa was a favorite abode of two to three thousand Indians in the mid-1800s.  By 1847 they were moved by the United States Government to reservations in nearby states. 

At the close of the Civil War, interested veterans came to our valley seeking to buy this productive land at an economical figure.  Also established farm families of eastern Iowa and other eastern states were attracted here for like reasons, especially from the communities of Kewane and Abingdon, Illinois.

U.D. Coy was born September 14, 1810 in Nelson County, KY.  He left there in 1829 when he was about 20 years old.  He was traveling alone on foot when he met Joseph Latimer’s family on the road.  He was hired to drive one of their ox teams.  They all stopped at Sangaman County, Illinois, and got acquainted with Abraham Lincoln.

They traveled on to near Abingdon, Illinois and on November 21, 1833, U.D. Coy married Susan Latimer, Joseph Latimer’s youngest daughter.  Eleven children were born to them, of which two died in infancy.  U.D. Coy served in the Black Hawk and Mexican Wars and attained the Commission of Major.  He and his eldest son George joined the Union Army, but the father was soon sent home on account of his age.  They then sold out and moved to Iowa in the spring of 1867.  They bought land and lived in Ringold County for a year.  The next year they came to Fremont County, bought land, and built a house, one half mile east of the present farm house of his grandson Arthur’s farm.

According to abstracts, John N. Fall of Council Bluffs had purchased these acres of our town in a larger purchase in 1858from the United States Government (Franklin Pierce, Pres.).  In April 1868, Major U. D. Coy, bought 1700 acres of fine Iowa land in this same area, and gave it to his nine children.  He gave the first plot of land for the Farragut Cemetery, which was four or five acres. Prior to the arrival of the railroad, the area was only prairie and the nearest trading post was 4 miles to the east at the then thriving village of Manti. 

Through the transactions of the railroad, John N. Dennison, Boston, Massachusetts purchased 160 acres from Mr. Coy in the spring of 1870.  The C. B. & O. Railroad (named Burlington and Missouri at that time) commenced to build down the Nishna River, running from Red Oak to Hamburg.  On August 1, 1870, the first train ran into Farragut.  The station was established; a box car being used for the depot. 

The railroad company assigned section foremen to maintain the “iron road.”   William Hall became the first resident when the railroad assigned him as the Section Foreman on August 16, 1870.  William Hall, born in England, and his entire family came to the United States when he was 13 years of age.  His father located in Illinois and became a railroader.  As a youth, William worked as a section hand.  He fought in the Civil War on the Union side, coming home unscathed after an a e names of the streets and avenues of our town each stand for some special event or person from the life story of Admiral David Glasgow Farragut.  It is a fascinating study to discover the significance of each name.  For instance,Hartford, our main  street, was the name of Admiral Farragut’s flagship, that led a fleet of nineteen vessels through the critical battle of Mobile Bay, August 4, 1864.  Admiral Farragut only had four ironclad vessels to protect his wooden ships as they attacked Fort Morgan, the Confederate fort.  The Tecumseh (“Congregational Church Street”) led the way through the narrow bay channel, mined with the new war weapons, torpedoes.  The Tecumseh was torpedoed and sunk early in the battle.  Then Farragut, against the judgment of his officers, determined at once that his flagship should lead the attack.  Although naval records do not record that Farragut said these exact words, (there was the same sentiment), Farragut courageously ordered, “Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!”  The story of the battle of Mobile Bay reads better than a modern thriller.  The Farragut school library has a two-volume book on Admiral Farragut’s career.  Rear Admiral Vance Cox, our own townsman of fine naval record, gave the volumes in 1962 in memory of his father, Ralph Cox.

Briefly, some other streets, and their meaning:  Porter was the surname of Farragut’s foster parents; Essex, his first ship; St. Philip and Jackson, strategic confederate forts taken in the battle of New Orleans; and Dupont was the surname of his youngest sister.

Someone recently questioned why would a rural town, with an agricultural economy, adopt a naval name.  But as we study the life story of David Glasgow Farragut, we can enthusiastically go along with our forefathers to name a promising new town for a man of such quality.  A biographer of Farragut said – “he is a practical, resourceful leader; a courageous hard-hitting fighter, who hated war; a deeply religious man” –- (on record are the touching letters to his wife, Virginia, and young son Loyall, on several occasions when he faced uncertainty of life with a battle in prospect).

According to present postal records, we are the only town in the United States bearing the Farragut name!  See NOTE


Source:  Southwest Iowa’s Heritage: A History of Page & Fremont Counties, Bicentennial Edition (Copyright / Published 1973 – World Publishing Company, Shenandoah, Iowa)